Tuesday, March 5, 2013

You Must Be New

Today I began my internship at Phoebe Hearst! I had a great experience and I am excited to continue, although a bit overwhelmed! Working at a preschool is difficult work, I spent most of the day running from classroom to classroom covering teachers who needed a break. However exhausting, it is also extremely rewarding. As cliche as it seems, the happiness that radiates from preschoolers cannot be ignored, no matter how many times they spill the jar of beads onto the floor or refuse to sit still during nap-time. And, of course, they are adorable. Watching the kids' faces light up as they show me their art is very inspiring, and my mentor and I are already brainstorming possible project ideas! It is very interesting to see what techniques the preschool uses to prepare the kids for life. For instance, Susan told me that legos and similar toys refine kids' fine motor skills and give them the skills for the future to complete tasks such as writing. And although I was a bit confused upon entering the art room and seeing a table to the side covered in nothing but stuffed horses and toothbrushes, Susan explained that the "grooming" helped clear the minds of some students to prepare them for making art. I spent the majority of my time working with younger kids (about 3 years) in Room 3 and older (4-5) in Room 5. I am looking forward to tomorrow!

No comments:

Post a Comment